Data Centre Manager
Essex, East Anglia-
£100000 - £110000 per annum, Benefits: Bonus, Car Allowance etc
Consultant name: Jim Hines
As the new potential Data Centre Manager, you will have complete local ownership of a growing data centre in Essex. You will be provided with central specialist support through a matrix organisation structure combined with your own site-based staff. Full responsibility for all staff and activities on-site will flow through you, including Facilities Maintenance, Security, Compliance, and Customer Operations. You will work closely with your peers managing other data centres in the business, collaborating on setting direction and standards, and participating in an on-call rota to provide leadership during any out-of-hours incidents.
Ideally coming from a Data Centre / Critical Engineering background with a proven track record in managing large multi-disciplined Engineering and client-facing teams, must possess good all-round technical knowledge, be capable of working in an extremely pressurised and demanding environment, be a great communicator, and leader, strong customer and client interfacing experience, capable of chairing high-level client meetings and internal team reviews, must be diligent and detail orientated.
- Provide mentoring and leadership to all the staff within your facility, fostering a culture of passion and commitment to reliability and customer service. Enable your team members to achieve their objectives, and facilitate collaboration with other departments across the business. Ensure a proactive culture towards H&S is promoted and lead by example.
- Attract, develop, motivate and retain talent at your data centre and across the business by playing a key role in recruitment, facilitating internal and external training, staff engagement activities, performance management, and coaching.
- Take the lead in communications and relationships regarding your facility. Work with multiple senior-level stakeholders, with our customers, and with our key suppliers to ensure the highest levels of customer satisfaction, including by attending periodic business review meetings.
- Manage all change within the facility: planned, unplanned, and as part of wider projects. Work with all relevant staff and departments to accurately forecast resources required, and understand and communicate any potential impact to service or project delivery timescales.
- Be responsible for managing Health and Safety within a complex technical environment, including working with FM to manage the Permit to Work system for your facility, including permits for Live Working where required, reviewing Risk Assessments and Method Statements (RAMS), and enforcing Electrical Safe Systems of Work.
- Work closely with Facilities Management to ensure all technical documentation relating to your facility is complete and up to date, including Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), and Emergency Operating Procedures (EOPs), with a focus on accuracy, clarity, and continual improvements. Ensure your facility and all related activities meet the necessary statutory requirements. Actively mitigate the risk of human error in all activities.
- Identify working inefficiencies and constantly drive productivity and quality metrics.
- Manage a substantial budget, and have financial control of all expenditures for your facilities through our ERP system. Undertake regular business planning reviews jointly with the Finance Department and other functions to set budget levels, including representation to the Board level for funding requests.
- Ensure all service partners and specialist subcontractors/vendors adhere to strict service guidelines and maintain the Service Level Agreement metrics required to support your facilities and our customers. Work with our central procurement team as required to ensure we get the very best from all our vendors.
- Act as the point of escalation for any issues on-site, and from time to time across the other facilities within the business, taking a leadership role, directing and managing teams through incidents. Participate in an on-call rota with your colleagues to provide out-of-hours coverage.
- Monitor and manage our ISO Management Systems as they relate to your facility, including Quality Management (ISO 9001), environmental sustainability (ISO 14001), and Information Security (ISO 27001). Ensure continuous improvement against the standards and represent your facility at any relevant internal and external audits.
- Provide monthly and ad-hoc service performance metrics of our key service delivery targets.
- Ensure all assets and systems are maintained to a standard set by our Critical Facilities Maintenance department to ensure reliability, statutory and mandatory compliance, and business performance.
- Ensure all reactive break-fix tasks are managed in a proactive manner to ensure Customers’ expectations are met via proactive communication, management and leadership.
- Liaise closely with our Projects and Technical departments to ensure smooth handover and acceptance of projects whilst ensuring all relevant information is available to the operations department, for example, O&Ms, drawings, EOPs & SOPs and training delivered to enable operating and maintaining the facility.
- You will have multiple years of extensive management experience in operating complex data center facilities across all disciplines, ideally with specific relevant qualifications.
- You will have demonstrated an ability to work to short, medium, and long-term deadlines, as well as being able to react quickly and change priorities to meet business and customer demands.
- Ability to effectively work within a large/matrix organisation and utilise excellent communication skills to engage with personnel at all levels.
- Strong knowledge of regulatory compliance, health and safety, and data security within a data center and environment.
- A self-motivated individual who is resourceful, with the ability to build working relationships quickly and effectively. Above all, you will be a great leader with excellent organisational, influencing, and strong interpersonal skills.
- You must have outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal, with an ability to articulate complex problems in a clear and methodical way and have experience dealing with difficult and multi-faceted problems
- Pro-active, responsive – able to prioritise and deal with intense moments of high activity using excellent analytical/problem-solving skills.
- Comfortable working through ambiguity, bringing clarity and control in a dynamic environment
- Possess a full driving license valid for the UK