Assistant Engineering Manager
Euston, South East-
£45,000 - £50,000 per annum
Consultant name: Daniel Oldfield
Job reference: 000000000086817
Date posted: 10/02/2024
Assistant Engineering Manager – Managing Agent
A well-established commercial property & real estate organisating, operating across the UK, have a requirement for an Assistant Engineering Manager to join their existing team of specialists. Based at a high profile mixed-use development in the Euston area, the primary function will be supporting the team of Engineering Services Managers in their role of managing outsourced FM service providers, ensuring compliance and agreement with key SLAs, auditing and compliance. Working on a Monday-Friday basis, the guideline salary for this position is circa £45-50,000 and benefits include a discretional bonus, private healthcare, pension scheme, and opportunity for advancement into outright Technical Services Management in the future.
The development itself is a 13 acre campus, and home to circa 20,000 workers and residents across commercial office space, retail & hospitality and residential living, and with a focus on community events – home to corporate and cultural alike.
Candidates must be fully qualified in an engineering discipline (mechanical or electrical), ideally having served a full apprenticeship, and have at least five years of demonstrable history in commercial building services maintenance. Along with core qualifications, additional training such as IOSH/NEBOSH, ILM, or further technical training such as L8, F-Gas, LV AP etc will all be beneficial. Additional duties will include:
- Proactively support and assist the Technical Services Manager in the management of the Technical Services with a focus on delivering customer services to the high standards expected by the client, owners and the occupiers.
- Assist the technical services have a consultative and co-ordinated approach, in liaising with all available resources including the Technical Services Managers, Property Managers, contractors, consultants and specialists to ensure that the properties are well maintained.
- Assist in the management of the M&E service partners to deliver the Technical Services in line with the asset maintenance requirements and company policies and procedures.
- Ensure that the properties are well maintained, safe and reliable with all maintenance and project activities taking place with minimum disruption or nuisance to occupiers.
- Assist in the delivery of targets for improving the estate and buildings energy performance and sustainability. To play an active role as part of the overall management team.
- Ensuring that all properties remain compliant and that all company’s reporting requirements are always maintained.
- Organize and attend Monthly meetings with associated Service Partners.
- Monitor, analyse and interpret the correct functioning of plant and systems via the Building Management System or other means
- Carry out regular audits and inspections of all plant, related areas and equipment.
- Review contractor’s proposals and switching schedules for electrical shutdown works to ensure optimum level of service to Occupiers and systems.
- Compliance with all current legislation and recommended standards.
- Verify Contractors Risk Assessments are up to date and appropriate to building and maintenance tasks.
- Management of Water Treatment, Lift Inspections, Emergency Lighting, Permits to Work & Method Statements, etc
- Undertake regular audits of maintenance programme. Review call out sheets and investigate as necessary. Review Concept PPM sheets / reports and investigate as necessary. Carry out random inspections of PPM / reactive works completed and in progress.
- Preparation and Management of engineering service charge budgets, to include procurement as per company policies. Budget control, preparation of relevant specification, raising orders/instructions/ contracts and verifying (processing) invoices.
- Arrange independent energy audits as necessary and action recommendations as necessary. Analysis and management of all engineering data/reports, ensuring that appropriate action/follow up is achieved. Identify & agree specialist consultant roles and review consultants brief on a regular basis. Manage other audit reports. Review actions/progress and monitor monthly via external reports spreadsheet attached to M & E minutes.
- To ensure that the production of engineering service specifications, contracts and associated documentation properly represent the service requirement of the premises and are presented and executed in accordance with company guidelines. Prepare contract documentation to include: – Tender Documents, agreements, and specifications. Manage tendering procedures. Analyse Tenders. Undertake Post tender interviews. Produce Client Contract Placing Report. Manage contractor closely during mobilization period and through to completion.
- Monitor and manage utility consumption, analyse data, prepare reports and develop plans for reduction in utility use. To oversee the consumption of utilities to ensure that consumption targets are met and where this is not possible, early warning is given and the reasons are fully understood.
- Meet with occupiers on a regular basis to discuss technical, energy and environmental matters and follow up actions with the engineering team as required.
- Assist the Technical Service Manager to deliver business driven objectives such a Net Zero Carbon objective, life science and improved occupier engagement.
This is an exciting opportunity to work “client-side” for a high profile real estate managing agent, and as such will appeal to ambitious and technically minded engineers looking for development within their career. It will likely suit a lead engineer / building services supervisor on the FM Service Provider side interested in moving to work directly within real estate, who can offer good communication skills and used to operating within the commercial/corporate environment, engaging with stakeholders on a regular basis. With the added security that comes with working direct, and with an annual bonus and healthcare among the key stand-outs in what is a competitive package.