Caretaker / Handyman
Required to work 25 hours per week on a rota between 3pm – 10.00pm Monday – Friday
or between 9am-5pm on Saturday.
A general interest in gardening, mechanical and building structures; the ability to identify harmful or potentially harmful condition/practices/procedures within the janitorial areas of responsibility; the ability to meet and administer repairmen/contractors; the ability to undertaken general repairs/refurbishment at DIY level; and security experience.
The ability to work well with all members of staff, contractors and visitors; a good team member; an understanding and appreciation of the needs of others; and a flexible approach to work content and, where appropriate, working hours.
The caretaker is responsible to the Estate manager for the effective and timely provision of janitorial services to the campus and it staff. This includes security duties, the management of services facilities, grounds maintenance. They are responsible for identifying repair requirements, their processing and satisfactory completion, which may be carried out either by contractors or, where deemed within the caretaker’s competency, by the caretaker.
Duty and Responsibilities
- Opening and closing, unlocking and locking of campus gates and building
- Monitoring and administering CCTV system
- Unsetting and setting of the campus alarm systems
- Responding to, and resetting of, the campus alarm, liaising with police and alarm company
- Checking and securing the campus premises subsequent to out of hours intruder alarm activation
- Overall security of the campus premises including the locking of all windows and doors and drawing of window blinds.
- You may be called out at unsociable hours or at weekends to deal with security problems, make emergency repairs or allow access to any contractors who may be working on site, in campus holidays or weekends.
- Preventing trespass on the campus premises or ground and in some cases ensuring that unauthorised parking of vehicles does not occur
- Respond when the campus alarm system is set off and arrange for the system to be re-set
- Register as main key holder
- Cleaning of external window of ground level
- Sweep yards, pick up litter and be responsible for the removal of all debris from paths, play area, grass areas, flowerbeds and all entrances.
- To empty internal communal rubbish bins daily
- General maintenance and minor repair work including: doors, windows, toilet seats and flushes, furniture, tap washers and some painting of doors and walls.
- General porterage duties and moving of furniture
- Receive and check goods and supplies and take them to the appropriate place for storage.
- Routinely clean lamp and light diffusers (strip light).
- Ensure that clear passage is maintained on all fire escape routes
- To arrange to clear blockages, remove foreign matter from sinks, toilets, drains and clean up spillages as required
- Repairs to the building structure/fabric, plumbing, furniture, fences/gates/pathways and equipment where assessed as competent to do so.
- Emergency repair within his competency
- Routine repair and redecoration as identified in the campus maintenance programme.
- Operation a fire alarm system.
- To prepare rooms for meeting, events and conferences and clear after use
- Keep all hard surfaces free of moss and weeds
- Make safe any hazards and ensure that the area is cordoned off
- Keep paths, entrances free of ice and snow to ensure the safety of children, parents, staff and visitors.
- To carry out Grass cutting on site Mower and some grounds maintenance
- To keep all beds and planters in a tidy condition including pruning
- In conjunction with other estates staff ensuring the building gutters, canopies car park and surrounding areas are kept clean and well maintained
- To monitor use of the car park facilities, checking authorised parking
- Occasional supervision of volunteers in specific relevant projects eg. Bulb planting, digging etc.
- Providing effective and timely janitorial services to the campus building and grounds.
- Noting, monitoring and reporting any defects in the campus to estates manager
- Monitor the works of contractors working on site
Heating, Lighting and Water
- The effective and economic operation of the building services including
- The switching off of all lights and appropriate electric sockets
- Ensure that all lights and heating are working effectively
- Read gas, electric and water meters as required
- Monitoring and setting of heating controls and boilers
- Be aware of the location of all stopcocks, gas and electricity meters and read meters as required
- Ensure that the boiler house is tidy and that no flammable material is stores there
- Replacing light bulbs/tubes if necessary and reporting any defects in the lighting or heating systems to the estates manager
- To test emergency lighting systems monthly
- To be flexible in approach and undertake all duties that may fall within the range as directed.
- Previous proven experience in a similar environment
- Proven experience in health and safety matters
- Demonstrate a good level of previous experience of general maintenance issues
- Flexibility to work weekends
- Proven experience in lone working and problem solving
- A highly motivated individual with a ‘can do’ attitude
- A good level of speaking, reading and writing English
- Formal qualification in property maintenance
- Formal qualification in cleaning
- Previous knowledge of fire panels