Job descriptionMaintenance Supervisor
£34,000 - £38,000 salary
SUMMARY OF ROLE
To provide Fabric Maintenance and repairs to around 1,200 buildings across the East of Hampshire. The contract runs for 5 years with a possible extension for a further 5 years. Building types include:
· Police Stations and Offices
· Fire Stations and offices
· Office buildings
· Vehicle Workshops
· Residential Homes and Nursing Care Units
· Historic Buildings
The company expects high standards of quality, workmanship, health and safety and environmental management and you will be responsible for monitoring, managing and supporting its achievement. We are seeking a conscientious, enthusiastic and experienced Supervisor with a can-do attitude and flexible approach. Applicants must have qualifications and relevant experience in one of the following trades: Carpenter, Roofer, Bricklayer, Ground Worker or Plumber but with broad experience and knowledge outside their core competency. The Supervisor must maintain a professional appearance and attitude and be polite and courteous at all times.
It is a further requirement that all persons working on the Contract must pass a DBS and police Vetting check.
The most important things you will do are:
· Ensure operatives are maintaining their vans, keeping them clean and tidy, have suitable van stock which is being replenished, and that they are not using excessive amounts of consumables.
· Escalate to the Contract Manager any serious events or occurrences that need to be addressed urgently, and highlight key issues, trends or issues that could affect service delivery performance longer term if not addressed.
· Be accountable for the jobs you manage, supporting the Resource Controller and helpdesk when pulled upon to deal with technical queries or general issues.
· Scope/survey large works, tender works, SRI’s providing cost estimates in terms of time, materials, plant, programs of works, risk assessments, and method statements.
· Recruit and induct operatives ensuring they have a professional introduction to the company and contract and ensure the probationary process is effectively managed and completed to a successful outcome for the company.
· Understand each toolbox talk topic and deliver confidently yourself, ensuring that operatives attend when required.
· Treat HCC customers with respect, demonstrating a courteous manner, escalating if an issue cannot be resolved to the Contract Manager.
· Reinforce the Health and Safety culture by ensuring that company practices and policies are being followed and adhered to by you and others in the field, undertaking documented observations, highlighting issues and trends as they occur.
· Carry out employee investigations, ensuring they are completed in a professional and timely manner.
· Carry out absence management procedures, undertaking return to work interviews, and performance reviews where required.
· Carry out accident/incident, and near miss investigations, ensuring these are completed in a professional and timely manner.
· Ensure that you follow and adhere to the company’s Integrated Management Systems, processes and procedures.
· Embrace the ethos of “Integrity, built-in - doing the right thing even when no one is looking”.
- Keep the Contract Manager and the client up to date with the overall delivery of works and the progress on any particular jobs which are important to them
- Support the operatives in their learning and development, ensuring they have the right technical and organisational skills to do their job
- Review the Work in Progress and update regularly in order to make sure work is completed in a timely, professional and efficient manner.
- Have overall responsibility for the planning and delivery of maintenance work including legal compliance and certification.
- Be a part of the out of hours rota, being on-call if needed by tradesmen or the client
· Able to recruit and induct staff ensuring they have a professional introduction to the company and contract.
· Be the technical expert for associated works, providing efficient and effective solutions where required.
· Able to support and coach operatives in order to achieve the perfect process.
· Able to operate in a changing and evolving environment and enjoy the challenge.
· Possess interpersonal skills and ability to communicate at all levels in a professional manner being able to challenge and be challenged.
· Have an organised approach to work and time management.
· Able to apply a practical approach and solutions to Health & Safety.
· Proficient in MS Office to an intermediate level and the ability to use an IT system for job management understanding how it functions and interacts with other systems.
· Able to record information in the field, identify trends and recurrent issues and put a measure in place to understand the extent of the trend or issue.
· Be a team player by understanding what it is to be part of a team sharing experiences and learning.
· Proactive in identifying your development needs and doing something to overcome them.
· Be able to self-manage and be self-motivated, prioritising work and have a desire to solve problems and eliminate waste.
· Technical building knowledge of working methods, practices, procedures, processes, regulations, and legislation.
· Have knowledge of the materials and methods used in the construction and building maintenance industry.
· NVQ or equivalent in trade specific
· SSSTS Health and Safety (Desirable)
· IOSH Managing Safely (Desirable)
· Scaffold Inspector course (Desirable)
· Have a full driving licence.
· 5 years’ experience of working in a Building Maintenance environment across multiple trades.
· 2 years’ Supervisor/Management experience
· 2 years’ experience of working in Commercial (preferred).
· Demonstrated through your attitude and application that you are a natural leader in the field.
· Managing the delivery of maintenance and repairs and planned works