Job descriptionMechanical Design Engineer, Hampshire
My client is an M&E Design Consultancy based in Hampshire. Due to the award of new projects, they require a mechanical engineer with design experience of the full range of mechanical building services and a working knowledge of current standards and regulations.
You will be working with a senior engineer to develop schemes from concept stage through to detailed tender packages and then following the project through the construction stage, liaising with contractors and other design team members as required. You will undertake feasibility studies, options appraisals, condition surveys and preparation of reports. As you develop you will be given greater responsibility to run your own projects.
The workload will be varied, interesting and challenging with projects ranging in value from £50k to £20M providing the opportunity for reasonably fast turnaround and rapid knowledge development.
You will be given your own projects to run should your competence level merit it and work as a member of a team on larger schemes.
You will require a positive approach, a sound understanding of mechanical building services fundamentals, a high degree of accuracy and competency in your work, a willingness to expand core skills and to learn new ones.
Duties and Responsibilities
To undertake the detailed design of engineering building services within agreed deadlines, following initial discussion of outline scheme with design team manager.
• To carry out all the necessary detailed calculations to determine the size of suitable heating, cooling, domestic water, gas, ventilation, controls and other systems.
• Consider the integration of renewable technologies and energy conservation into designs at all stages
• To include the selection of equipment, to obtain initial manufacturer’s quotations and selections, and prepare schedules for tender.
• To prepare schematic layouts with design information to assist the final commissioning of the systems.
• Preparation of layout drawings in AutoCAD.
• Preparation of specifications, schedules of work and equipment.
• Carry out QA design audits on own and other engineer’s projects.
• Liaise with Contractors and Clients during the execution of the project.
• Responsible for the financial control, site inspection, and contract management.
• Ensure projects are delivered to the highest technical standards. Report any variance between the works constructed and the design intent.
• Carry out site visits for surveys and to check on quality of workmanship and compliance with specification and standards.
• Consider health and safety aspects of designs.
This is an excellent opportunity of joining an established consultancy, with a clear progression route internally and working on a a variety of interesting and prestigious projects. For more information or to apply please contact James Whicher